La Habra man dragged and killed when his vehicle is carjacked in the South LA area

LOS ANGELES — A man who died after being dragged by his own vehicle during a carjacking in the South Los Angeles area was a La Habra resident, authorities said Saturday.

Sixty-three-year-old Larry Walker was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the coroner’s office.

A suspect in a July killing was in custody in connection with Walker’s death, caused when he attempted to flee police serving a murder warrant.

Joshua Reneau, 31, of Los Angeles, who was hospitalized following Thursday’s carjacking and crash, was arrested on suspicion of murder, and booking was pending, the Los Angeles Police Department reported.

The events leading to Walker’s death began earlier on Thursday when police arrested Derek Hall, 28, of West Covina, and Miracole Brown, 20, of South L.A. Both were booked on suspicion of murder and robbery in the July case, with bail set at $2 million each.

After those arrests, police obtained a murder warrant for Reneau, and they went to his home in the 5900 block of Seventh Avenue “in an effort to effect an arrest,” police said.

About 5 p.m. Thursday, detectives saw Reneau get into the passenger side of a vehicle, and officers chased it when it was driven from the scene.

“During the pursuit, the sedan collided with another vehicle and became disabled,” police said in a statement.

“Reneau exited the sedan and carjacked Walker’s vehicle. As he attempted to forcibly remove Walker from the car, the driver became entangled in the seatbelt. Reneau got into the driver seat and drove away in the victim’s car. The victim was dragged alongside his own car for over two miles.

“The pursuit continued for approximately three miles,” police said. “Reneau collided with several police vehicles and ultimately flipped the car on its side in the area of Praire and Florence avenues, in the city of Inglewood. The victim of the carjacking was located on the street about three houses south of where the car flipped and came to rest on North Osage Avenue,” police said.

The victim now identified as Walker was pronounced dead at the scene.

“Reneau barricaded himself inside the disabled car and initially refused to surrender,” police said. “The Los Angeles Police Department SWAT officers responded to the scene and Reneau surrendered.”

According to police, Reneau, Hall and Brown were involved in crimes including homicide and assault on July 29.

About 12:01 a.m. that day, West Valley Division patrol officers responded to an assault with a deadly weapon radio call in the 18500 block of Sherman Way, police said. “Upon arrival, officers located two victims with gunshot wounds.”

Paramedics took the pair to a hospital, and they were treated and released.

“There were numerous shell casings inside the crime scene, which were fired from different handguns,” police said. “Officers determined that a street robbery occurred. It was believed the victim was targeted for his jewelry.”

At around 12:50 a.m., West Valley officers responded to an call in the the 18300 block of Saticoy Street in Reseda, where they found man with a gunshot wound, police said. Paramedics took 32-year-old Earl Hunter to a hospital, where he died.

“Detectives … learned that the victims were confronted by three males … who exited a gray, four-door sedan,” police said. “Two of the suspects were armed with handguns. One of the suspects grabbed the victim’s two large necklaces. During the incident, the victim was shot.”

Detectives determined that the two shootings of the three victims involved the same suspects.

Related Articles

Crime and Public Safety |

Arrest of suspect made in connection with Stockton serial killings that left 6 dead

Crime and Public Safety |

Man accused of kidnapping, slaying 4 Merced family members pleads not guilty

Crime and Public Safety |

Prosecutors drop charges against Adnan Syed in ‘Serial’ podcast case

Crime and Public Safety |

Sheriff wants man charged in Merced family’s kidnapping, slaying to face death penalty

Crime and Public Safety |

Man accused in deadly 7-Eleven robbery, shooting spree is ordered to stand trial

Share the Post:

Related Posts