The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP), the Pacific Asian Consortium in Employment (PACE) and Maravilla Foundation (Maravilla) have united in a joint effort to hold free sign-up events to support income-qualified households in Los Angeles struggling to pay their water and sewer bills. Attendees will get help applying for financial assistance through the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) and other available LADWP assistance programs.
The events are intended to help qualifying LADWP customers get the help they need when applying for financial help. Staff from LADWP, PACE, and Maravilla will be on hand at the events to help eligible customers apply for LIHWAP and process applications at the LADWP Crenshaw, North Hills, and Watts locations from 9 AM to 2 PM.
LIHWAP offers a lifeline to residents facing financial difficulties by providing funds to cover current and past-due water or sewer bills. Many eligible low-income families have already received hundreds, even thousands, of dollars in assistance.
Key factors determining eligibility for the Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) assistance are as follows:
- Your household’s total gross income must be at or below 60% of the State Median Income (please refer to the provided table);
- A member of your household is currently receiving benefits from CalFresh, CalWORKs, or the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP);
- Your water or sewer utility system is enrolled in the LIHWAP program. Please note: not all water and sewer systems accept LIHWAP payments for past due and present bills.
For renters: You may still qualify for LIHWAP assistance even if your water or sewer bill is included in your rent and you are overdue. To leverage this benefit, you must establish an agreement with your landlord as part of your application process. It is recommended that renters additionally confirm with their landlords that their water or sewer utility is enrolled in the LIHWAP program.
Events are being planned on February 10 and 24 and March 9 and 23, where either PACE or Maravilla will be the local service provider in attendance to facilitate enrollment in LIHWAP. LADWP Customer Service Representatives will also enroll eligible customers in LADWP assistance programs.
The LIHWAP program ends on March 31, 2024, and remaining funds are given on a first-come, first-served basis — eligible customers are urged to attend the upcoming events and apply now.
The sign-up events will happen concurrently at three different locations:
- LADWP Crenshaw — 4030 Crenshaw Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90008 (PACE)
- LADWP North Hills — 9154 Sepulveda Blvd., North Hills, CA 91343 (Maravilla)
- LADWP Watts — 1647 E. 103rd Street, Los Angeles, CA 90002 (PACE)